Thursday, February 24, 2011

Hello New York Times

I had put my NY Times subscription back down to Sunday only because daily home delivery is a bit pricey, but yesterday, right after I canceled my Washington Post subscription, I called up to restore it to seven days a week. (But see update below.)

Yesterday, the Times had two or three stories taking a union angle on the Madison protests (while still reporting what all those governors were doing). And today it had this nice little story about Wisconsin and Indiana Democrats on the lam in Illinois.

As the great media shakeout proceeds it does look like the Times will consolidate its position as the national quality daily. They, too, do many silly things and the deterioration in quality -- in copy editing alone, for instance -- from their previous high standards is noticeable. But all in all, they still get the job done.

I do find the way overrated Andrew Ross Sorkin's shtick with his "Dealbook" annoying -- WTF kind of annoying -- but you have to take the good with the bad.

Update: Sigh. Seeing the magazine preview today in the Times online with yet another fawning portrait of Chris Christie by Matt Bai makes me realize how unsatisfactory even the Times can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment